The late Stephen R. Covey had plenty of insightful things to say. This quote about words versus actions is one of my favorites.
You can’t talk your way out of a problem you behaved your way into. Stephen R. Covey
- How often have you seen someone try to talk their way out of a problem they behaved themselves into?
- How often have you tried to do this? How often does it seem to work?
- How about when a state trooper pulls you over and asks, “Do you know how fast you were going?”
- Or how about when you failed to remember your wedding anniversary?
- How about if you slept through a final exam…or slept through a breakfast appointment with your best customer?
- What’s the best example of this principle that YOU have seen?